Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Group Projects

Today in class we talked about working in groups and working on group projects. We talked about the different roles that are often present within groups such as the controller, passive aggressive, mute, etc. I thought that these stereotypes were quite typical and began to think about what role I usually played in group settings.

I would characterize myself as either the controller or the mute guy depending on the situation. I tend to stay in the background as long as someone has asserted themselves as the leader and don't offer much input as long as I believe that the project is progressing in the appropriate direction. I would rather not cause conflict or take charge unless it is absolutely necessary for the completion of the project.

I don't believe this approach is the best but I believe that it does keep the group more focused at times without one more person adding to the mindless chatter within the group. I typically try to avoid being the passive aggressive or pseudo productive types by not over-promising and under-delivering or by criticizing others work when I have made no other comments beforehand.

Group projects are always interesting especially if you get stuck with the slacker, but being able to identify the strengths and roles of each member makes for a much better experience.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way you are. I prefer to sit back and do what other people tell me to do, especially when there are several Controller types present, but I will step into the leader role if I need to. I'd rather not cause conflict either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be the controller type but I do not like to cause conflict in a group either. If there is someone else that is determined to be the controller then be my quest I have no problem relaxing in the backseat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conflict is definitely the biggest drawback in group projects, its good that you try to avoid it. Sometimes its best to let someone else take over no matter how annoying or assertive they might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conflict can definitely be a problem in groups. Luckily for me, I haven't worked with a group that I didn't enjoy. It seems like everyone has horror stories but for the most part everyone I've worked with has pulled their weight and done a good job. I guess it's because I am a computer science major so everyone works on their code until it is working correctly then we just combine all the pieces... It's kind of hard not to pull your weight.

    ReplyDelete